Assume you wake up one day to find your memory card is corrupted. This might have disastrous implications for everyone, just as it would for a person sentenced to death.
How can you avoid this unanticipated circumstance?
Please keep in mind that this post is meant to be educational, so take careful notes and, if you get lost along the way, leave your questions in the comments section below.
This article will show you how to use Chkdsk to repair a corrupted SD card and then use a recovery program to recover data from a damaged SD card. Please review everything below, and I am convinced that it will help you with your problem.
Symptoms of a Corrupt SD Card
It is normally advisable to identify the source of the problem in the SD card as soon as possible so that the recovery process may begin. The following signs indicate that the SD card in your phone is corrupted or damaged:
It does not appear in the file explorer on the phone, and the folder size is listed as 0 bytes.
When connected, the PC is unable to recognize the card’s location.
It takes way too long for the gadget to read or open the card folder.
You can’t access specific files on your SD card, or they’ve vanished unexpectedly.
A message indicating a corrupted or destroyed SD card is displayed.
How to Repair a Corrupted Memory Card using Chkdsk
The following will be necessary to use this simple and quick method.
- A computer with the Microsoft Windows operating system
- Basic computer operating knowledge (not compulsory)
- A functional USB cord
- Android Smartphone (Along with the corrupted Memory card)
- USB or other card reader (if you don’t want to use your phone)
- In the start menu’s search area, type “cmd,” and the “Command Prompt” will appear.
- Select “Run as Administrator” from the context menu. An Administrator Command Prompt appears.
- Using steps 4 and 5, correctly insert your SD card into the computer.
- Navigate to “My Computer/This PC” and look for the drive letter. The drive letter is “G:” in this example.
- Return to the Command Prompt that you opened earlier (see step 1)
- On the command prompt, type “chkdsk g: /f” (notice that the “g” above refers to my computer drive, so make sure you type in yours). The letter g should be replaced with your own drive letter ( Check the Quick Info below for better explanation) and then press enter
- Please be patient as the procedure unfolds. After that, you can check to see if your SD card has been repaired.
If you are unsure of the SD card letter, quickly remove it and take it to my computer, where you will note down the letters (e.g C: or D: e.t.c). Then, reconnect the SD card and check to see if a new letter has been added to the list of drives.
Another thing to keep in mind here is that when you connect your SD Card for the first time, your system will attempt to install it.
How to Recover Lost Data from an SD Card
It is recommended that you utilise Data Recovery software to recover erased data from an SD card. Even if your infected SD card has not been successfully repaired, you may be able to access it and recover the data on your computer in some cases. The Data Recovery programme is a sophisticated tool that may help users recover deleted or lost data from a corrupted SD card. Please see the instructions below to understand more about how it works.
Download and run Data Recovery.
Please download, install, and run the Data Recovery application on your computer. Then, insert your SD card into the computer, and the application will recognise it. For the sake of this lesson, we will be employing a Recovery Program known as ‘’FonePaw,” which is a free and highly successful programme.
Choose the Data Types You Wish to Recover
You have the option of selecting which data types to recover from an SD card or just selecting “All File Types” from the UI. To continue, click the “Next” button.
Scan Using Your SD Card
Select the SD card from the software’s list and press the “Start” button. It will start scanning your SD card in rapid scan mode by default. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, try again in “Deep Scan” mode.
Recover Data from a Corrupted SD Card
You will be able to preview the scanned out data when you have patiently waited for the scanning procedure to complete. Use the “Recover” button on the interface to recover data from a corrupted SD card.
That brings us to the end of today’s post. Please keep in mind that there are alternative ways to attempt, but this is the most effective method that I am aware of. Have you tried any other methods? Please tell us about your experience.